On to a new project, inspired by Sandrine Pellissier @paintingdemos--this piece was done based on a step-by-step tutorial found on her website ARTiful Painting demos! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful skills with the world. On my bucket list: a visit and in-person class with Sandrine in her Vancouver, BC studio!!!
p.s. I gave this to my friend Tina for her birthday and I think she loved it!
I had a wonderful time creating this pretty little Australian bird! First I layered some juicy blue-green origami papers in the background, and also pieced together some branches using musical notes. I was going to use some dyed silk webbing but I decided against it, because the silk ended up looking like a sodden wad on the canvas.
After adding more branches to the background, I decided to paste down the tissue I'd used as the backdrop for spraying the abandoned, soggy silk. I used Dylusion's Spray Ink, which is NOT permanent, but spread around a bit as I pasted it down. Some of the music notes are stained with walnut ink, which is also not permanent. The effect of the smeared walnut ink was so wonderful that I reinforced it, dabbing and painting on more ink in selected areas using a large sponge and a round brush.
Before moving on to add the subject, I wanted to tone down the background, which felt might appear too vividly and monotone green. To achieve a muted tone, I decided to apply some light blue with a stiff-bristled brush. The stiff bristles allow the brush-strokes to be noticable, and I feel it adds to the impressionistic quality of the painting.
Here is a close-up of the nearly finished painting. I will tweak the eye a bit, since he looks startled, and I will go in with pen and ink for some finishing touches along the branches. I'm very pleased with the painting overall! Sorry I don't have a photo of the in-between stages of adding the subject. I just got carried away with it all!
I just finished painting a truck for one of my cousins. I wanted to add some depth to the blue paint, so I painted in some purple clouds.
I finished up by adding in super dark blue-black and light blue-gray highlights. My husband pointed out that I missed the rear bumper and passenger mirror. So I painted those in quickly as well. I'm not really sure what the old Ford hood ornament looks like, but I feel like the blurry style gives the whole piece an impressionist feel.
Here is the finished piece. Acrylic on 8x10" triple-gessoed canvas panel. It's going in the mail on Monday, hope they like it!!!