Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Got Poppies? 5x7

Had so much fun collaging these beauties.

Adding detail in pencil. Such gorgeousness already, but a few more layers left to go. Below is the finished piece, on a bed of collage papers. Mixed media on 5x7" canvas panel.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Mixed Media Birds and Flowers

I've been spending much more time painting lately and have had a marvelous time developing some new ideas!  I have a lot more on my to-do list, so stay tuned...

Owlet Among the Ferns, mixed media, 8x10" canvas panel - SOLD

Golden Warbler in the Forest, mixed media, 6x6" canvas panel. Available here.

Oriole Love, mixed media, 8x10" canvas panel. Available here.

Fairy Wren Resting, mixed media, 6x6" canvas panel. Available here.

BlueGreenJay, mixed media, 8x10" canvas panel, custom framed in black wood with raised detail.
Available here.

Hummingbird, 4x6" acrylic on paper - SOLD.

Rosey Morning, acrylic, 4x6" canvas panel - SOLD.


Another 6x6" study in the style of Sandrine Pellissier.  I thoroughly enjoyed the layering process involved in creating this painting! 
Acrylic, spray ink, acrylic gel pen, and dip ink on heavyweight acrylic paper.

Art a la Sandrine Pellissier

On to a new project, inspired by Sandrine Pellissier @paintingdemos--this piece was done based on a step-by-step tutorial found on her website ARTiful Painting demos! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful skills with the world. On my bucket list: a visit and in-person class with Sandrine in her Vancouver, BC studio!!!
p.s. I gave this to my friend Tina for her birthday and I think she loved it!

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Golden Warbler in Mixed Media Collage

I had a wonderful time creating this pretty little Australian bird! First I layered some juicy blue-green origami papers in the background, and also pieced together some branches using musical notes. I was going to use some dyed silk webbing but I decided against it, because the silk ended up looking like a sodden wad on the canvas.
After adding more branches to the background, I decided to paste down the tissue I'd used as the backdrop for spraying the abandoned, soggy silk.  I used Dylusion's Spray Ink, which is NOT permanent, but spread around a bit as I pasted it down.  Some of the music notes are stained with walnut ink, which is also not permanent.  The effect of the smeared walnut ink was so wonderful that I reinforced it, dabbing and painting on more ink in selected areas using a large sponge and a round brush.

Before moving on to add the subject, I wanted to tone down the background, which felt might appear too vividly and monotone green.  To achieve a muted tone, I decided to apply some light blue with a stiff-bristled brush.  The stiff bristles allow the brush-strokes to be noticable, and I feel it adds to the impressionistic quality of the painting.
Here is a close-up of the nearly finished painting. I will tweak the eye a bit, since he looks startled, and I will go in with pen and ink for some finishing touches along the branches.  I'm very pleased with the painting overall! Sorry I don't have a photo of the in-between stages of adding the subject. I just got carried away with it all!